PDX Downhill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

Had a bad experience with Daddies Board Shop? Tell us about it!

+9
Hovey
kgalb949
mikenike605
Mr. Tadashi
Leviathan
abowl
awabouya
Dog-Eye
billy_the_kid
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Had a bad experience with Daddies Board Shop? Tell us about it! Empty Had a bad experience with Daddies Board Shop? Tell us about it!

Post  billy_the_kid Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 am

I think most of us have had some kind of bad experience with Daddies and we (at least I) want to hear about it! Unfortunately they have become very big and they like to throw their weight around in order to keep other companies from selling skate supplies (not cool!).
So tell us about your shitty experience with Daddies to help spread the word about how crappy of a shop they are.

Here is my story:
A few years back my friend Mikey had borrowed some video equipment from them and we used it to film us at Maryhill. Since I was the only one who was going to edit the footage (and had the capabilities to do so) I uploaded it to my computer. I put together a little video and threw it up on youtube a couple days later. I had some credits on the video thanking Mikey for filming and Daddies for letting us borrow the camera equipment. And all was well.
A couple days after that we skated some garages and filmed that using the same camera. I got the footage off the camera and uploaded it to my computer. I remember being really stoked on editing so I cranked out the video that night. I didn't put any credits on it and uploaded it to youtube. A couple days later I got a comment from somebody with the screen name "daddies420" that said,
"Buy your own camera next time. Maybe your mama will loan you a credit card. Nothing in this world is free - unless you know some nice people to take advantage of."
I called my friend Mikey and asked him about it. He happened to be at the shop at the time and put me on hold while he talked to the Daddies crew. Apparently they meant nothing by it and just wanted credit where it's due. I guess they don't know how to ask for it politely.

This is just one of a few bad encounters that I've had with them. I am in the process of deleting my youtube videos (and uploading them to Vimeo) so I figured I should post this before I delete the video and the comments.

Now lets hear about your bad encounters!

billy_the_kid

Back to top Go down

Had a bad experience with Daddies Board Shop? Tell us about it! Empty Re: Had a bad experience with Daddies Board Shop? Tell us about it!

Post  Dog-Eye Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:19 am

luckily i've never given those bastards a dime and would suggest that no one else ever does again. as for the youtube/vimeo decision: it may just be me, but i can't view ANY clips on vimeo. i assume it is too high-res for my ancient computer/stolen signal, but others may have the same problem. that probably does not out-weigh your reason for deleting the videos, but just wanted to let you know that some people still rely on the dinosaur that is youtube for e-stoke.

Dog-Eye

Back to top Go down

Had a bad experience with Daddies Board Shop? Tell us about it! Empty Re: Had a bad experience with Daddies Board Shop? Tell us about it!

Post  awabouya Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:27 am

Last summer i bought a set of wheels from them because they had a wheel sale; buy a set of wheels and get a free set of bearings and speed lube. About 2 weeks later i got the wheels but no bearings or lube. i had to wait another 2 weeks until i received them. Definitely not going to buy from them again.
Rip City is much better than Daddies, buy from them!

awabouya

Back to top Go down

Post  abowl Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 am

the worst i had was i bought and abatis
and it started delaming so i brought it back and they gave me another
i skated that then that was delaming
so i brought it back and i told them why they keep giving me shity boards
and they wouldnt give me another one
so i was like fuck
abowl
abowl

Back to top Go down

Post  Leviathan Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 am

I don't think Daddies customer service is at all bad compared to their business ethics.
Leviathan
Leviathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Tadashi Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:21 am

Leviathan wrote:I don't think Daddies customer service is at all bad compared to their business ethics.

I second this but, then again they are probably better about there CS when it online sales compared to in store sales.

I just think it is funny that when you ask something about a board spec or wheel info in the store, they go on there website to look up the info.
Mr. Tadashi
Mr. Tadashi

Back to top Go down

Post  mikenike605 Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 pm

I guess i havent had a really bad experience. I once waited at their counter for someone to help me with my wheel purchase for about 30 min. other than that i dont really have a problem with them. I do try to go by rip city when i can though.
mikenike605
mikenike605

Back to top Go down

Post  kgalb949 Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Daddies stole some of the pictures i took at the Cathlamet downhill corral. Didn't ask for my permission or give me credit. Lame...
kgalb949
kgalb949

Back to top Go down

Post  Hovey Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Kole, You gotta call them on that shit, they pulled that on me multiple times. They don't get the concept that they have to use their own pictures or pay for them.
Hovey
Hovey

http://www.erichovey.com

Back to top Go down

Post  timJohnson Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 am

daddies definately sucks for their contracts with different board companies. i used to shop there all the time (only place around) but stopped when the board room opened. daddies has a great selection, but they market to the wrong crowd. that's enough to get me to go to rip city alone, plus the fact that the prices are basically the same and daddies rarely has any sales. they're also total snakes. i think they bought the domain name for "eastsidelongboard.com" without the s at the end of boards. pretty damn sneaky if you ask me
timJohnson
timJohnson

Back to top Go down

Post  DanThatch Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:58 am

i'm just wondering but who is doing this i know that its daddies but who at daddies?
DanThatch
DanThatch

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrlongboardmagic

Back to top Go down

Post  Leviathan Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:13 am

Melanie's the one all the board companies have to deal with, being threatened that she won't buy their boards anymore if they sell to "directly competing businesses" *cough*ripcityskate*cough*.

Most longboard sales are online, and Daddies has that market on lock, so the majority of board companies sell a good chunk (1/4 for Rayne?) of all of the boards they produce to Daddies, so when Daddies threatens to not sell to them, and they have reason to believe no one will buy their boards if they're not for sale at Daddies, they rarely stand up to her. Which is why I give mad respect to *edit* companies like Madrid, and Venom who kept their accounts open with competing shops even after being threaten by Melanie. *end edit* Did she stop buying Venom or Madrid after all her threats? No, because she's going to make huge amounts of cash anyway. But she just apparently thinks it's worth threatening companies to potentially choke off another shop so she can make some more.

Last edited by Leviathan on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Leviathan
Leviathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Tadashi Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:15 am

timJohnson wrote:daddies definately sucks for their contracts with different board companies. i used to shop there all the time (only place around) but stopped when the board room opened. daddies has a great selection, but they market to the wrong crowd. that's enough to get me to go to rip city alone, plus the fact that the prices are basically the same and daddies rarely has any sales. they're also total snakes. i think they bought the domain name for "eastsidelongboard.com" without the s at the end of boards. pretty damn sneaky if you ask me

They own the domain name randaltrucks.com which is a redirect to there randal page which as I understand is domain squatting.
Mr. Tadashi
Mr. Tadashi

Back to top Go down

Post  kgalb949 Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:16 am

Fuck yes. thats soo cool of Andrew Mercado and Zak Maytum.
kgalb949
kgalb949

Back to top Go down

Post  DanThatch Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:30 am

oh right thanks thats what i expected, ----------------------------------------------------------------, but yea most of the time i've gone there everyone seemed nice.

EDIT: Sorry I censored your post Dan, Daddies do spend a lot of time on the internet and will likely see this thread and I don't want you-know-who to get into any trouble. Sorry!
DanThatch
DanThatch

Back to top Go down

Post  Leviathan Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 am

Oh yeah, that was me inside of your brain. I try not to censor much, but I like your friend and don't want any trouble for him.
Leviathan
Leviathan

Back to top Go down

Post  DanThatch Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 am

ya lol, kinda funny thinking they could be seeing this
DanThatch
DanThatch

Back to top Go down

Post  Leviathan Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:47 am

The interwebs are their business. Especially since their actual storefront is open for fewer hours than the sun shines during winter!
Leviathan
Leviathan

Back to top Go down

Post  DanThatch Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:49 am

lol ya i used to always get pissed off about their hours, itd be like we should ride up to daddies but nooo they're closed till next week. That just always bugged me
DanThatch
DanThatch

Back to top Go down

Post  billy_the_kid Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:51 am

That's probably because they don't care about the local scene. As long as they can sell boards online and keep other Portland shops from selling boards, they are happy.

billy_the_kid

Back to top Go down

Post  DanThatch Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:53 am

describes my thoughts about it perfectly
DanThatch
DanThatch

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudge Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:15 am

any time iv have ever gone into daddies for as long as iv lived here i have never liked it.
to me and and others i know, its pretty much the "poser" skate shop. yeah they sell skateboards and all but the people that run the place don't care about it and don't know any thing but how to sell it online. some of there employees might know a thing or two but over all they dont help out the skateboarding community, especially when they try to tamper and threaten other peoples businesses. i can only think of one person over there that really tries to get out to races and really skates.
by the way daniel i think its sick your helping rip city by getting your gear over there and getting into the whole downhill scene, its awesome to ride with new people i know from school!!

Rudge

Back to top Go down

Post  DanThatch Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:28 pm

wasn't sure who that was at first but ya whats up david, i'll definately be going to the switchbacks race supposed to be dry and sunny
DanThatch
DanThatch

Back to top Go down

Post  billy_the_kid Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Discussing this over the internet only does so much to deter people from going to Daddies. The best thing to do is to talk to your friends who shop there and explain the reasons why they should not support them. There are tons of other great skate shops that sells the same products.
Take your business to Rip City, Skate Legion, Cal Sk8, Next Adventure, Sublimity, Motion Board Shop, Exit Real World, Shrunken Head or Lab 33. Anywhere but Daddies!

billy_the_kid

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudge Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 pm

sick man, thats awesome.
i hope i can go, im sick today and feeling pretty crappy. im hoping it wont last long!

yeah by the way billy ever since i heard about what daddies has done to jp, rip city, rayne and other peoples businesses iv been telling every one, any where but daddies!!!

Rudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next