PDX Downhill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

$50 ticket

4 posters

Go down

$50 ticket Empty $50 ticket

Post  kgalb949 Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Last night was my first day really being back after my broken collarbone. Yay! I was having a good day skating. Even though I was still playing it safe, considering if i take a good fall i could severely re-break it. Although, I was having a fantastic day hitting up some speed runs then going out with the crew and doing some night bombs in suburbia. Goin down one of our usual routes, and after bombing down the shoulder of one of the major streets here, I take a tight right-hander hot and make it. But, as soon as i make it, pump a little, and get into a tuck a cop flashes his lights and pulls us over.

I recognize the policeman because this isn't the first time he has pulled me over. And he gives us all a $56 dollar ticket for being a pedestrian in the roadway. Not because we were obstructing traffic. Not because we weren't wearing any reflective gear. Simply for skating in the street (or shoulder may I correct myself).

Now this is what really wrenches us. Boarders are being shoe-fitted into the pedestrian category, rather than being a bicyclist. Why? According to this officer, this is because we have form of mechanized brake.

So therefore after long discussion and everything, it was concluded that boarders had to stay on the sidewalk, and had to carry their boards accross a street when approaching an intersection. Well....lets say the policemen just ordered this.

And to think they they are providing the safety and security of the people eh? Personally i find it much safer for motorists, pedestrians, and myself to be classified as a bicyclist. for a number of reasons.

so yeah I just wanted to post this to get feedback from the Portland area, because I have been hearing rumors that the policemen in your area are a lot more tolerable than the ones up here.

Thanks,
Kole
kgalb949
kgalb949

Back to top Go down

$50 ticket Empty Re: $50 ticket

Post  TheEskimoMan891 Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Yes, city ordinance 20.12.205 allows portland skaters to skate ALMOST anywhere.

Yes, I'd much rather be classified as a cyclist, I even follow most of the cyclist rules hoping that something magically happens and I'm all of a sudden treated as a cyclist.

.....and "they are providing the safety and security of the people" is one of the biggest misconceptions around.

Police officers and the police force are not legally obligated to protect people.
Their job is simply to maintain order in their district.
Kind of like what the bloods and the crips do.

(yes, I just indirectly called the police force of America the worlds largest street gang)
TheEskimoMan891
TheEskimoMan891

Back to top Go down

Post  wooden Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:10 pm

eskimo already said it (sorry, i don't know your name), but....

CITY ORDINANCE 20.12.205

end of discussion. go argue that ticket in court and save your butt some dough.

edit: I reread your post and realized you're not from Portland... You could always go talk to city council and whatnot and show them how awesome 20.12.205 is that they should have something similar.
wooden
wooden

Back to top Go down

Post  boarder's mom Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Ahem, had you made it to Cathlamet, you would have met Kole! Not to continue to rub it in! Not to threadjack, but why don't you offer to take over NWlongboarding for Shane?

boarder's mom

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668712960&ref=profile#/ho

Back to top Go down

Post  wooden Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:23 pm

i told him i'd admin it for him and he agreed that it needs someone to deal with the immaturity that seems to be taking it over. unfortunately, that was about 3 weeks ago and i haven't heard from him since, i've sent him a couple emails but haven't received any response. he's working on a new layout for it and it will not have the Blank Man feature (thankfully).

and as for not getting to cathlamet, blame nick for not having a working voicemail and thus not getting my message!

/threadjack
wooden
wooden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down