PDX Downhill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

Maryhill, Thanks and afterthoughts...

5 posters

Go down

Maryhill, Thanks and afterthoughts... Empty Maryhill, Thanks and afterthoughts...

Post  Mexifly Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:21 pm

First of all I, and everyone who rode the hill, has to give a BIG thanks and a huge hug to all the corner watchers. They stood in the rain all day Saturday and then in the cold wind all day Sunday to make this event possible. I cannot say enough good things for these folks, the event could not have happened without them. I also need to thank the sponsors who came to the hill and helped put this all together, LongboardLarry, Timeship Racing, Subsonic Skateboards, Motion Boardshop and the Mountain Shop. Lastly thanks for those who came out on the Friday to assist with the setup and Monday for that LONG day of clean up. I was planning on paying the folks on Monday for their efforts but the money was turned down in favor of making a donation to the Goldendale food bank in the amount of $250. We also collected 2 bags of food for their cause also.

THANKS!!!!

It was a fun weekend and I hope there can be more, we as a family show much respect and that makes it a lot easier to put on future events. I just need to figure out how to get more riding time in myself (although that just leaves me with more time to hurt myself).

I was a little nervous about mixing the various skill levels on the hill at once but it looked like the experienced riders took some care and watched out for others. I cannot say enough about Ryan Heffernan, Enzo and Marco Nariso and Quinn DuBois. These guys are all under the age of 12 and show more poise, skill and maturity than many older riders I am scared to ride with. They made runs in the rain under complete control and allowed room the faster riders coming up behind them to pass. You guys rock!

Joe and Ryan from Timeship brought together all the demo items and it looked like people took advantage of the chance to try something different. All these items, including the Bungee, will be available for auction shortly. All the proceeds from the auction will go to the City of Goldendale to assist in the creation of a concrete skatepark. Timeshipracing.com will have a page posted showing the items and when they are available for auction, keep your eyes open for more details.

As far as the number of people participating, too many, not enough or just right? I am thinking I may be able to add 15 more or so. Everyone had sore legs after 1 sunny day I am figuring after 2, people would be taking more of a break. I do not want too many people to insure everyone does get enough runs in everyday.

Let me know what you think about that and I welcome any other suggestions that would help make the event run smoother and be more fun. That includes you blankman.

Thanks to all who showed up and I can’t wait to do it again,

Deano

Mexifly

Back to top Go down

Maryhill, Thanks and afterthoughts... Empty Re: Maryhill, Thanks and afterthoughts...

Post  billy_the_kid Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:19 pm

Thank You Deano!
I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had at the freeride. I don't think I will ever get the chance to ride a skateboard, luge, buttboard and tallbike all in the same day ever again (except maybe the next freeride...). It was really cool getting to mix it up with such a diverse group of people. It was also really fun getting to use a bungie to launch yourself down the road. Oh man, good times...
Also, thank you Judy and everybody else that was watching corners. The weather was a little less than pleasant at times but they stuck it out. Kudos.
As far as the number of people go. I think you could definitely let 15 more people in, especially if there are three U-hauls and two days of riding. I know I was taking quite a few breaks.
I'm really stoked to hear that they are working towards getting a concrete skatepark. It'd give me another reason to visit Goldendale. Hopefully the money they raise from the auction will get them that much closer to a new park. I'll have to be watching timeship.
Anywho, thanks again Deano and I can't wait until next time. Heal up that wrist!

billy_the_kid

Back to top Go down

Maryhill, Thanks and afterthoughts... Empty Re: Maryhill, Thanks and afterthoughts...

Post  TheEskimoMan891 Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Deano, you are the man.

This was a great event for people of all skill levels to ride.
I don't think it could have worked out any better, maybe better weather but....

I'm so glad I made it out for this event and I'm damn sure I'll be at the next one.

Heal up Deano.
and thanks again.
TheEskimoMan891
TheEskimoMan891

Back to top Go down

Post  boarder's mom Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:05 pm

You guys are very welcome for the corner help, but thanks go to Deano for all your work and initiative in putting this on! We had a blast despite the weather saturday.

We've already talked a bit about some suggestions, but some further ones would be for you to delegate someone to take over for set periods of time so you can be sure to get ride time in. Five or 10 gallons of extra gas to ensure the uhauls can make it through without a gas break. Maybe some food vendors would like to set up? And you may have already had them, but some fire extinguishers would probably be good insurance to have on hand. I know the uhauls have them, but having even one extinguisher stationed down in the vendor area might be wise.

Hope you make it to the switchback race if you're not too slammed with work!

boarder's mom

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668712960&ref=profile#/ho

Back to top Go down

Maryhill, Thanks and afterthoughts... Empty deno

Post  DArkwingduck Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:49 am

i owe you a 6 foot hogie
DArkwingduck
DArkwingduck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down