PDX Downhill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

From Oregonlive.com - skaters beaten at max stop

+5
billy_the_kid
Hueyphoto
John B
Leviathan
boarder's mom
9 posters

Go down

From Oregonlive.com - skaters beaten at max stop Empty From Oregonlive.com - skaters beaten at max stop

Post  boarder's mom Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Skateboarder says he and pal were beaten up at Skidmore Fountain MAX stop
by Allan Brettman, The Oregonian
Saturday March 14, 2009, 8:12 PM
A 20-year-old Portland man's jaw was broken in three places and he had five teeth knocked out in a confrontation early Saturday morning at the MAX line Skidmore Fountain station in downtown Portland, his companion says.
Taylor Appelo was hospitalized at Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center. He also had multiple facial cuts, a broken rib and a dislocated thumb, family members said. He underwent surgery on his jaw Saturday evening.

Portland police officers took a report on the attack and detectives will probably start investigating the case Monday, spokesman Mike Marshman said. Detectives will want to view video images of the Skidmore Fountain MAX site, he said.

"If they had photographs of the suspects that would be a huge help," he said.

The alleged attack comes at a time of heightened safety concern by TriMet.

In September, TriMet announced it would add 15 new transit police officers, more personnel inspecting for fares and more security cameras at light-rail stations to deal with public concern about safety.

The transit agency started changing the way it dealt with security after a November 2007 baseball bat beating of a 71-year-old man at a Gresham MAX station. Other incidents, including a stranger-on-stranger attack last June involving teens, heightened the issue.

The injured man's companion, Clayton Hunt, 16, has been the sole source of information about the attack for police and media.

Hunt said in an interview that he and Appelo were waiting for a MAX train at the Skidmore Fountain stop about 1 a.m. Saturday. The pair, both holding skateboards, planned to get on a train to take them to the Washington Park stop to skateboard downhill.

Four men, three of whom appeared to be in their mid-20s and one perhaps older, approached and almost immediately began making threatening statements, Hunt said.

"They told us we walked into the wrong tunnel," Hunt said, referring to the area underneath Burnside Avenue.

One man "came up to me and told me and Taylor he wanted to lay one of us out on the tracks," Hunt said. "He said he was drunk and looking for a fight."

Hunt said he and Appelo started walking away from the four but they followed and one of them shoved Appelo, who bumped into Hunt. Both fell onto the track surface.

One man attacked Appelo and another tackled and attacked Hunt, Hunt said.

"After I got tackled, he hit me in the head," Hunt said, "and then I got up and Taylor said we needed to leave and we ran up the stairs."

Appelo and Hunt fled up nearby stairs leading to Burnside Avenue.

One of the four, however, pursued them up the stairs and onto the sidewalk next to Burnside, Hunt said, and when Appelo turned, the man struck him in the face with such force that Appelo fell onto the sidewalk.

"I saw him hit the ground really hard, face first," Hunt said. "I saw a lot of blood everywhere. I saw his teeth on the ground. It was really scary."

Two passers-by called police, said Hunt, who gave information to the officers. Dispatchers got another call from a nearby hotel, a Portland police spokesman said.

Police are looking for more information, including why it took 15 minutes for anyone to call police and why the victims didn't call themselves, Marshman said. Officers tried to talk to people in the area at the time, but found no witnesses.

Hunt's stepfather, Dave Tobin, a TriMet employee, said Saturday evening that security cameras at the Skidmore Fountain stop may have captured images of the four attackers. Tobin, a field equipment maintenance technician for the transit agency, helps maintain the security cameras.

Bekki Witt, a TriMet spokeswoman, said the agency is looking into the incident.

Witt was not certain how many cameras are at the Skidmore Fountain stop or where they are positioned. Video is stored in the system for two weeks. She said the recording would probably be examined Monday.

Appelo had been unemployed recently and living in a Portland apartment, said his father, Erik Appelo, of Ridgefield, Wash.

His son is an avid skateboarder, he said, and his other son, Devin Appelo, is a professional skateboarder.

-- Allan Brettman: allanbrettman@news.oregonian.com

Su-jin Yim contributed to this report.

boarder's mom

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668712960&ref=profile#/ho

Back to top Go down

From Oregonlive.com - skaters beaten at max stop Empty Re: From Oregonlive.com - skaters beaten at max stop

Post  Leviathan Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Damn that's fucked, I think I know almost everyone involved in that story.
Leviathan
Leviathan

Back to top Go down

From Oregonlive.com - skaters beaten at max stop Empty Re: From Oregonlive.com - skaters beaten at max stop

Post  John B Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:41 am

that really is fucked up.
John B
John B

Back to top Go down

Post  Hueyphoto Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:18 am

You know the four attackers, Casey?
Hueyphoto
Hueyphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  Leviathan Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:43 am

It was the daggers fo sho.
Leviathan
Leviathan

Back to top Go down

Post  boarder's mom Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:02 am

Can you imagine if one of those skateboarders had been alone? This is one reason I carry a nice big knife in my purse. I sure hope they catch those daggers, I mean drunks!

boarder's mom

Back to top Go down

Post  billy_the_kid Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:07 pm

I don't think these guys were singled out because they were skaters, but I do think they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is an example of when you would use your skateboard as a weapon. Not many people would be feeling too high-and-mighty after getting a skateboard to the head.

billy_the_kid

Back to top Go down

Post  Hovey Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 pm

I think you're totally right Billy, it sounded like it really had nothing to do with skateboards or skateboarders, just that the media loves to capitalize on that idea. Skate truck to the head would do the trick.
Hovey
Hovey

http://www.erichovey.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boarder's mom Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 pm

I agree, wrong place at the wrong time and had nothing to do with skateboarding - except that the poor guys were beaten with their own boards. Now, maybe if they had stayed ON their boards they could have outrun them...

I just realized I saw the part about them being hit with their own boards somewhere else, so here's that story:
Two Skateboarders Attacked in Portland, Oregon

Late Friday night in Portland, Oregon, skateboarders Clay Hunt and Taylor Appelo (Devin Appelo’s brother) were attacked by four men as they waited at a Max stop on their way home. Both were attacked for no reason and beaten senselessly with their own skateboards. The four attackers bragged about being drunk and told Clay and Taylor “That they were in the wrong place at the wrong time!”
Taylor Appelo was beaten so badly that his jaw had been broken in three different spots and wired shut. He also suffered a broken rib and the loss of five of his teeth.
Sadly, Taylor is 20 years old and doesn’t have medical insurance. A charity fund for Taylor Appelo will soon be in place, more information will be available shortly. To learn more about this story, click here. From everyone at SKATEDAILY.net, speedy recovery guys. Hopefully the attackers will be found and justice will be served!

Posted by Garric

http://skatedaily.net/

boarder's mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti-Trend Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:35 pm

They definately should have used their boards to defend themselves, but I can also understand that they were distracted by the fact that some random drunk guys wanted to fight them; but its always been my first reaction to pick up my board when I'm skating if I ever feel threatened. Sad story.

Anyways, who wants to skate garages tonight? ha ha
Anti-Trend
Anti-Trend

Back to top Go down

Post  ChuckB Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:47 pm

Yeah this is really messed up! I agree that if a skater finds himself in this position; a truck to the head or a puck from a glove across the face should do the trick. Remember fair fighting if for professional fighters with rules, gloves, and judges. We are not! so defend yourself even if you have to kick someone in the balls or hit their eyes. I can relate my friends and I have almost gotten run off the road on porpose by drunk drivers. It is no fun and really scary. I am going to be getting some joggers mace and recommend it to anyone who likes night skating.

http://www.mace.com/index.php/product/index/id/26
ChuckB
ChuckB

Back to top Go down

Post  chopShuey Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:27 am

saturday.............1am definatley wrong place wrong time

chopShuey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down