PDX Downhill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

Bike Beaverton

3 posters

Go down

Bike Beaverton Empty Bike Beaverton

Post  boarder's mom Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:53 pm

"A new community bike ride, on Wednesday, July 16 at 6pm. This fun, evening ride will be 6.57 miles long, starting at the Beaverton City Library. After exploring the city, riders will pedal back to the library for an ice cream social. Helmets are required, water is recommended. Bike Beaverton is sponsored by the City of Beaverton and the Beaverton Bicycle Advisory Committe. For more information about bicycling in Beaverton visit www.beavertonoregon.gov/bike or call Margaret Middleton at 503 526 2424."

Ok thanks for bearing with me reading all that... City of Beaverton's stance on long or skateboarding in city is: "The City of Beaverton does not have a specific definition for skateboard vs longboard. However, if it is a board that has wheels that you ride upon then it is a skateboard under the code. Thus, there is no distinction between skateboarding and longboarding.
6.02.230 Rollerskates, Sleds, etc.
No person shall:
A. Use the streets for traveling on skis, toboggans, sleds, or similar devices, except where authorized.
B. Use rollerskates or skateboards on sidewalks in the business district or on any street, except as authorized or except to cross at a crosswalk."

So basically you are not allowed at all... What do you guys think about showing up with your commuter boards and riding along to try and change the perception of boarding? I could make up flyers with links to several forums, a list of 10 reasons to ride a longboard, an excerpt from James Peters Seattle Times story, etc. I think if some responsible, respectful riders showed up to do a low key ride along it might be a first step in changing that law, and great publicity for the sport. I know I'm just a busybody chaufeur, so feel free to flame me if you disagree. I also realize it is short notice and conflicts with the usual Tabor session. Addison will be in Black Butte, but I will be there on some form of transportation.

boarder's mom

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668712960&ref=profile#/ho

Back to top Go down

Bike Beaverton Empty Re: Bike Beaverton

Post  mrpauliepants Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:13 pm

7 mile ride? Hows the terrain? I'm not sure on the route. Since it's Beaverton, it's probably pretty flat eh?

I would love to try and push 7 miles (I've done it before) but I don't know if I work Wednesday yet or not.

If I'm free, and physically able to push 7 miles Wednesday, and there are any other boarders that are gonna be there, then I might show up.
mrpauliepants
mrpauliepants

Back to top Go down

Post  boarder's mom Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Since it's family oriented (read, little kids and ice cream), I'm sure it's going to be real flat and easy, and you can always bail early too. I would just like to get a boarding presence there in the hopes that we don't get arrested on the spot, and maybe create some positive publicity for the sport. Addison is going to try to give me some lessons so I can ride his board in his place!

boarder's mom

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668712960&ref=profile#/ho

Back to top Go down

Post  gnaRSORE Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:15 pm

i would totally be down to go out and do this.
gnaRSORE
gnaRSORE

Back to top Go down

Post  mrpauliepants Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:22 am

gnaRSORE wrote:i would totally be down to go out and do this.

Yeah? We haven't met up yet Ryan, but we need to. I went and skated a tad with the Daggers. haha. Their totally cool guys. Kevin, Kyle, and two other guys whos names I'm spacing on at the moment. lol. Oh Peter. And then the camera guy.
mrpauliepants
mrpauliepants

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down