PDX Downhill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

I want to setup some sort of Parking Garage session...

Go down

I want to setup some sort of Parking Garage session... Empty I want to setup some sort of Parking Garage session...

Post  mrpauliepants Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Alright, so Sundays are a big Zoobomb night. And Wednesdays are a Tabor day. The reasons for this are pretty obvious, Sundays up at Zoobomb being pretty dead around 930/10ish. And Tabor because Wednesdays it's closed to cars all day.

First and foremost, location is key. I'm thinking downtown Portland, because there is an array of parking garages down there. Some of which are as many as 12 floors. And in the event of being kicked out of one, we skate one block in any direction to the next one. This also doubles if one isn't really that great for what we're doing, we could easily relocate to the next one.

Sooo... Why don't we have like... a Parking Garage Friday or something?? Now, there are a few logistics to figure out, mainly: traffic, authorities, transportation, and optimal time.

Traffic basically dictates optimal time, and time basically dictates transportation. And the authorities are their own problem, mostly. So... On a Friday night, what time do most garages die down at? Monday, I was at a parking garage around 9:30PM, and it was still lively from the 4th floor down, however, that was next to a 24hour fitness...

So, we need to figure out what time traffic starts to die down enough that it's not an (big) issue, and that's basically what time this thing should start. After that, the authorities are the next issue. Skating is against the (rules? law?) in many parking garages. So there is two possible routes here, leave it an outlaw skate, or try and work out some sort of "understanding" with the local authorities per garage.

As for transportation, I'm thinking since this would potentially start between 9PM and 10PM, it's on a Friday, so then the Max is still running until like 1AM or something.

Hmm, edit: Maybe Thursdays would be better? Being under 21, I wasn't thinking about people that are over 21 that drink on Friday nights about that time after work or whatever.

Any ideas welcome, I'm just trying to see if I can manage to get some more regular skate meetups going, it would be nice when I run into longboarders unfamilar with the community, a time and place to meet up with other locals to skate.
mrpauliepants
mrpauliepants

Back to top Go down